February 17, 2014
To: Mayor & Councilmembers, City of Oelwein residents
From: Jamie Letzring, City Administrator
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
INFORMATION REGARDING FROZEN WATER SERVICE LINES
Due to drastically low temperatures this winter many of our residents and water customers are experiencing frozen water service lines. We are describing this as a “severe weather event” but unlike snow, ice or rain, this event is occurring underground. Additionally, it is important to note that not all municipalities assist with the thawing of water lines but we have dedicated city crews that help our residents work through this process. While it is a frustrating situation to be in, like so many Iowa communities this year, we are at the mercy of Mother Nature.
Here are some important reminders for residents:
• Most recent status had frost levels reaching between five and six feet deep.
• Check your water temperature daily. If you are less than 40 degrees, contact City Hall at 319-283-5440 and run a faucet with a pencil-sized stream of water, continuously.
• If your water service is frozen, contact City Hall. At this time, it may be several weeks before water can be restored. In some cases, warmer temperatures will be the only relief.
• You may keep toilets functioning by filling the tank with water for flushing purposes.
• We will evaluate water bills when we know the full impact of the situation. Please contact City Hall if you are without water, or running your water.
• If you are in need of drinking water or a shower, please contact City Hall and register as a resident without running water.
• Drinking water: Police Department, 20 2nd Ave SW. 10:00 – 11:00 am or 6:00 – 7:00 pm. BRING YOUR OWN CONTAINER. An officer will assist you. You must first register by calling City Hall.
• Showering: Williams Wellness Center, 317 8th Ave SE. Hours vary, check City website. BRING YOUR OWN TOWEL AND TOILETRIES. Only one shower per locker room, be aware of time constraints. You must first register by calling City Hall.
The City of Oelwein has declared a snow emergency effective at 6:00 p.m. on February 17, 2014. The snow emergency will remain in effect until 6:00PM, February 18, 2014. Any vehicles left parked on emergency snow routes will be subject to tow. Also in effect with be alternate side parking for non-snow emergency routes.
1. Restricted Street and Avenue Parking: After declaration of a snow removal emergency by the Mayor of the City of Oelwein and publication of notice of the parking restriction herein, it shall be unlawful for any person to park or leave unattended or unoccupied any vehicle along the curbside of any public street or avenue between the hours of midnight and 9:00 P.M. on the side of such street or avenue on which houses are identified with even numbered addresses on even numbered days of the calendar and on the side of such street or avenue on which houses are identified with odd-numbered addresses on odd-numbered days of the calendar. Said parking restriction shall apply until said restriction is lifted by subsequent declaration of the mayor by radio or newspaper announcement.
2. Restricted Parking in Municipal Parking Lots. After the declaration of a snow removal emergency by the Mayor of the City of Oelwein and publication of notice thereof, it shall be unlawful for any person to park or leave unattended or unoccupied any vehicle in the North Municipal Parking Lot; the municipal parking lot located in the 100 Block of 1st Avenue SW, and, the City Hall Municipal Parking Lot, on even numbered days of the calendar and in the South Municipal Parking Lot; and the municipal parking lots located on the East and West side of the 10 Block of 1st Avenue NE, on odd numbered days of the calendar until said restriction is lifted by subsequent declaration of the Mayor by radio or newspaper announcement.
The Oelwein Police Department was established in 1903
Currently the Oelwein Police Department employs:
7 Reserve (Volunteer) Police Officers
The Oelwein Police Department is located at 20 2nd Ave SW #200, Oelwein, Iowa 50662.
Use the contact form below to send us an email
You can use the following information to contact us.