SECTION 16-5. STORING OF GARBAGE AND REFUSE.
All accumulations of garbage and refuse shall be stored or placed for collection in accordance with the following provisions:
1. No person shall place any garbage or refuse in any street, median strip, alley or other public place of travel, nor upon any private property except as stated herein except leaves during authorized collection dates. (Ord. No. 1010, 02-10-2003.)
2. Any unauthorized accumulation of garbage and refuse on any lot, property, premises, public street, alley or other public or private place is hereby declared to be a public nuisance and is prohibited. Failure of the owner or occupant to remove and correct any such unauthorized accumulation of garbage and refuse shall be deemed a violation of this Chapter.
3. It shall be unlawful for any person to place or leave outside any building or dwelling, except as stated herein, any dilapidated furniture, appliance, machinery, equipment, building material, or other item which is either in a wholly or partially rusted, wrecked, junked, dismantled or inoperative condition, and which is not completely enclosed within a building or dwelling. Any such item or items which remain on the property of the occupant for a period of ten (10) days after notice of violation of this section shall be presumed to be abandoned and subject to being removed from the property by the city without further notice. This shall not apply to authorized junk dealers or establishments engaged in the repair, rebuilding, reconditioning or salvaging of equipment who are in compliance with State and local ordinances and Codes.
4. It shall be unlawful for any person to leave outside any building in a place accessible to children any appliance, refrigerator or other container of any kind which has an airtight snap lock or similar devise, without first removing the lock or door from said appliance, refrigerator or container. This provision does not apply to any appliance, refrigerator or container which has been placed on or adjacent to the rear of the building and is crated, strapped or locked to such an extent that it is impossible for a child to obtain access to any airtight compartment thereof.
SECTION 16-11. NOTICE OF VIOLATION.
Upon discovery of any accumulation of garbage and refuse constituting a violation of Section 16-10, the person or persons responsible for said accumulation and the owner of the private property on which said accumulation is located shall receive notice of said violation by delivering a copy of the notice to the individual personally; or by serving, at the individual’s dwelling house or usual place of abode, any person residing therein who is at least eighteen (18) years old; or by sending a copy thereof by certified mail, return receipt requested. The notice shall contain the following information:
1. That the accumulation of garbage or refuse constitutes a nuisance under the provisions of this chapter.
2. That the person or persons responsible for the accumulation and/or private property owner must dispose of the accumulation or otherwise correct the violation in accordance with this chapter.
3. The failure to comply with the provisions of this chapter within seventy-two (72) hours from the date of service of the notice or date of mailing of notice by certified mail, the person or persons responsible for said accumulation and/or the owner of the private property shall be liable for the violation.
4. The failure to remove the garbage and refuse accumulated in violation of this chapter within seventy-two (72) hours of said notice shall be presumed to be abandoned and may be removed by the City and disposed of at the expense of the person or persons responsible for said accumulation and/or the private property owner.
Notice shall be deemed given when mailed.
The Oelwein Police Department was established in 1903
Currently the Oelwein Police Department employs:
7 Reserve (Volunteer) Police Officers
The Oelwein Police Department is located at 501 Rock Island Road, Oelwein, Iowa 50662.
Use the contact form below to send us an email
You can use the following information to contact us. If an emergency or to report a crime, please call the Oelwein PD. It may take a few days before your email will be received.