At 10:05AM on February 19th, 2014, Oelwein police arrested Henry Ray Maxwell, 39 yrs old, of Oelwein. Maxwell was arrested in the 10 block of 2nd Ave SW on a Fayette County warrant for an original charge of theft in the 5th degree.
On February 20th, 2014, at 9:17AM, Oelwein police arrested Joseph Robert Hedgman, 20 yrs old, of Oelwein. Hedgman was arrested in the 200 block of 2nd St SE on a Fayette County warrant for an original charge of driving with suspended license.
On February 20th, 2014, at 10:46AM, Oelwein police arrested Bruce Lee Miller, 20 yrs old, of Oelwein. Miller was arrested in the 200 block of East Charles Street on a Fayette County warrant for an original charge of burglary in the 3rd degree and criminal mischief in the 4th degree.
February 17, 2014
To: Mayor & Councilmembers, City of Oelwein residents
From: Jamie Letzring, City Administrator
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
INFORMATION REGARDING FROZEN WATER SERVICE LINES
Due to drastically low temperatures this winter many of our residents and water customers are experiencing frozen water service lines. We are describing this as a “severe weather event” but unlike snow, ice or rain, this event is occurring underground. Additionally, it is important to note that not all municipalities assist with the thawing of water lines but we have dedicated city crews that help our residents work through this process. While it is a frustrating situation to be in, like so many Iowa communities this year, we are at the mercy of Mother Nature.
Here are some important reminders for residents:
• Most recent status had frost levels reaching between five and six feet deep.
• Check your water temperature daily. If you are less than 40 degrees, contact City Hall and run a faucet with a pencil-sized stream of water, continuously.
• If your water service is frozen, contact City Hall. At this time, it may be several weeks before water can be restored. In some cases, warmer temperatures will be the only relief.
• You may keep toilets functioning by filling the tank with water for flushing purposes.
• We will evaluate water bills when we know the full impact of the situation. Please contact City Hall if you are without water, or running your water.
• If you are in need of drinking water or a shower, please contact City Hall and register as a resident without running water.
• Drinking water: Police Department, 20 2nd Ave SW. 10:00 – 11:00 am or 6:00 – 7:00 pm. BRING YOUR OWN CONTAINER. An officer will assist you. You must first register by calling City Hall.
• Showering: Williams Wellness Center, 317 8th Ave SE. Hours vary, check City website. BRING YOUR OWN TOWEL AND TOILETRIES. Only one shower per locker room, be aware of time constraints. You must first register by calling City Hall.
The City of Oelwein has declared a snow emergency effective at 6:00 p.m. on February 17, 2014. The snow emergency will remain in effect until 6:00PM, February 18, 2014. Any vehicles left parked on emergency snow routes will be subject to tow. Also in effect with be alternate side parking for non-snow emergency routes.
1. Restricted Street and Avenue Parking: After declaration of a snow removal emergency by the Mayor of the City of Oelwein and publication of notice of the parking restriction herein, it shall be unlawful for any person to park or leave unattended or unoccupied any vehicle along the curbside of any public street or avenue between the hours of midnight and 9:00 P.M. on the side of such street or avenue on which houses are identified with even numbered addresses on even numbered days of the calendar and on the side of such street or avenue on which houses are identified with odd-numbered addresses on odd-numbered days of the calendar. Said parking restriction shall apply until said restriction is lifted by subsequent declaration of the mayor by radio or newspaper announcement.
2. Restricted Parking in Municipal Parking Lots. After the declaration of a snow removal emergency by the Mayor of the City of Oelwein and publication of notice thereof, it shall be unlawful for any person to park or leave unattended or unoccupied any vehicle in the North Municipal Parking Lot; the municipal parking lot located in the 100 Block of 1st Avenue SW, and, the City Hall Municipal Parking Lot, on even numbered days of the calendar and in the South Municipal Parking Lot; and the municipal parking lots located on the East and West side of the 10 Block of 1st Avenue NE, on odd numbered days of the calendar until said restriction is lifted by subsequent declaration of the Mayor by radio or newspaper announcement.
On February 16, 2014 at 11:12 p.m., Oelwein Officers performed a traffic stop at 35th St and Neon Rd in Oelwein. Officers arrested James Daniel Mull, age 32 of Postville for Possession of Controlled Substance – Methamphetamine a Class D Felony, and following Simple Misdemeanors Interference with Official Acts, Possession of Drug paraphernalia, Open Container in a vehicle as a passenger.
On February 16, 2014 at 6:45 p.m., Oelwein Officers responded to a call of a disturbance in the 900 block 2nd Ave SE in Oelwein. Upon arrival, officers arrested William George Perry, age 47, of Oelwein Disorderly Conduct a Simple Misdemeanor.
CORRECTION: On February 16, 2014 at 11:15am Oelwein Police Department responded to a two vehicle collision at the intersection of West Charles St and South Frederick Ave in Oelwein. When officers arrived on the scene it was determined that Judith Kay Appelman from West Union was operating a 2010 Ford Fusion which collided with a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan that was operated by Charlene Ohl from Oelwein.
CORRECTION: On February 16, 2014 at 10:43 am Oelwein Police Department responded to a two vehicle collision in the 2400 block of South Frederick Ave in Oelwein. When officers arrived on the scene it was determined that Clayton Dale Siegel from Oelwein was operating a 1999 Chevrolet Suburban which collided with Richard Detrick Heldt from Oelwein who was operating a 1997 Ford F150 Pickup. Siegel was cited with Failure to yield on entering Highway and Failure to prove Security Liability Insurance.
On February 16, 2014 at 3:44 a.m., Oelwein Officers performed a traffic stop in 800 block of 1st Ave SW in Oelwein. Officers arrested Erik Dwayne Hardin, age 49 of Oelwein for Driving While License Revoked a Serious Misdemeanor. Hardin was cited for Failure to yield to Emergency Vehicles and issued a warning for failure to wear a seatbelt.
On February 10, 2014 at 10:30 p.m., Oelwein Officers were called to the 800 block of 5th Street SE in Oelwein for a Property Damage Accident. Subsequently, officers arrested Kistler Earl Pritchett, age 19 of Oelwein on charges of Driving While License Suspended and Failure to File SR22 Insurance, both Simple Misdemeanors.
On February 10, 2014 at 8:30 p.m., Oelwein Officers checked an address in the 100 block of 5th Avenue NE in an attempt to serve a Fayette County Sheriff’s Office arrest warrant. Officers arrested Lindsey Marie Nus, age 25, of Oelwein on the warrant for original charges of Failure to Serve Jail Time for OWI 2nd Offense.
On February 10, 2014 at 7:15 a.m., Oelwein Officers went to a residence in the 10 block of 4th St NW in Oelwein to check for a subject wanted on a Fayette County Sheriff’s warrant. Officers arrested David Eugene Matthews, age 25, of Oelwein on the warrant, original charges of Sexual Abuse in the 3rd Degree.
On February 9, 2014 at 1:20 a.m., Oelwein Officers were called to a residence in the 10 block of 5th Avenue SE for a domestic disturbance. Officers arrested Aaron Wayne Petty, age 38 of Oelwein, on charges of Domestic Abuse Assault 3rd Offense, a Class “D” Felony and Permit Requirement-Tattooing, a Serious Misdemeanor.
On February 7, 2014 at 10:05 p.m., Oelwein Officers were called to a residence in the 200 block of 2nd St NW for an Intoxicated Man. Officers arrested John Eugene Kaub, age 27, of Oelwein, on a charge of Public Intoxication a Simple Misdemeanor.
Oelwein Police are investigating a theft complaint in the 100 block of 1st Ave NW. Oelwein Police received a theft complaint at 1:09 p.m. on February 7, 2014. This incident remains under investigation.
On February 7, 2014 at 9:16 a.m., Oelwein Officers were called to a business in the 100 block of South Frederick Ave for a suspected shoplifter. Officers arrested Heidi Lynn Cowart, age 42 of Oelwein, on a charge of Theft 5th Degree, a Simple Misdemeanor.
On February 6, 2014 at 3:05 p.m., Oelwein Officers arrested Christopher Samuel James Brown-Cunningham, 21, of Oelwein. Brown-Cunningham was arrested on a Fayette County Warrant for an original charge of Shoplifting in the 100 blk 1St Ave SE.
Oelwein Police investigated a motor vehicle accident in the area of 6th Ave SW and 4th St SW at 8:12 a.m. on February 6, 2014. A 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo driven by Christopher Chase Hershey collided with a 2000 Buick Lesabare driven by Neal Theodore Schoultz. Initial estimated of damages were $3,500.00 to the vehicle driven by Hershey and $2,000.00 to the vehicle driven by Schoultz. Hershey was cited with Obstructed View.
Oelwein Police investigated a motor vehicle accident in the 100 blk 2nd St SE at 8:05 a.m. on February 6, 2014. A 2012 Dodge Truck driven by Larry Joseph Wulfekuhle collided with a 1997 Chevrolet S10 pickup driven by Ian John Thomas Bamford. Initial estimated of damages were $2,000.00 to the vehicle driven by Wulfekuhle and $2,000.00 to the vehicle driven by Bamford.
On February 4, 2014 at 11:30 p.m., Oelwein Officers were called to a business in the 10 block of 1st Av SE in Oelwein for a reported shoplifter. Officers arrested Cody Mason Skidmore, age 23 of Oelwein on charges of Theft in the 5th Degree, a Simple Misdemeanor and Possession of Prescription Drugs, a Serious Misdemeanor.
The Oelwein Police Department was established in 1903
Currently the Oelwein Police Department employs:
7 Reserve (Volunteer) Police Officers
The Oelwein Police Department is located at 501 Rock Island Road, Oelwein, Iowa 50662.
Use the contact form below to send us an email
You can use the following information to contact us.